In search of holiday magic & festive flair
There’s no place like home for the holidays, as they say. As the 2020 season is in full swing, it looks and feels different around the globe with many opting to stay closer to home and celebrate the holidays in new ways.
As we look forward to a little holiday magic and festive flair, we’ve got top-trending holiday decor and gift-giving inspiration to help make the season brighter for you and your loved ones however you plan to celebrate this year.
Popular holiday decorating trends
Many homeowners have decked the halls early this year. Those who are embracing the warmth and coziness of home during the pandemic are finding themselves in a particularly festive spirit.
This year’s popular holiday decorating trends, per REALTOR® Magazine:
- Blue: Shades of blue, like navy, are being used this holiday season with tree decorations, garland, ribbons, and lights and paired with white, silver, gold, or red accents
- Buffalo prints: Bold plaid in black and white or red and black offers up “cozy” interior vibes
- Nostalgic holidays: Vintage and cozy holiday decorations that are a blast from the past
- Digital decorating: Affordable, high-tech gadgets are making it easier to digitally decorate and can be a great solution for sellers who have their home on the market this season and don’t want to clutter their lawn with decorations
- Griswold Style: Sixty-nine percent of Americans say they plan to go all out on decorations this year from lights to giant inflatables, channeling a Clark Griswold holiday style
Gift-giving trends & Pinspiration
With people spending more time at home than ever before, an eagerness to spread joy (and splurge on self care), along with historical highs in online shopping, Pinterest lovers began their holiday planning much earlier this year and the emerging trends and most-searched holiday gift ideas can found, and directly purchased, within the Pinterest Shop: holiday collection.
Top holiday gift-giving and search trends this year, per Pinterest:
- Home is where we all are: Going out is so 2019. Pinners are looking for ideas to make the most of this time at home with searches up for“cute loungewear 5.6x and “best poetry books” 2x
- Level up your space: Pinners are searching for ways to gift some space upgrades with “gifts for plant lovers” 2x and “indoor hanging chair” 3x among top searches for home gifts
- Spend small, give big: Clever yet meaningful “mini gift ideas” searches are up 2x. From cute hair accessories to skincare refreshments and more— pinners are loving these mini pick-me-ups as a thoughtful gesture
- The beauty enthusiast: Head-to-toe and ready to go. People are on the hunt for “best skincare products” +30% and “spa gifts” 2.7x
- Seasoned and amateur foodies: With everyone becoming their own chef and at-home host, searches for “ceramic gifts” 3.5x are on the rise with pinners seeking the right tools to make their lives easier with barista-worthy pour-overs, all-purpose cookware, and more
- That kid magic: Pinners are seeking to enter a world of whimsical wonder with captivating toys for the kids, with increasing searches for “learning toys” +96% and “kids wooden toys” 53%
- Gen Zers and the hard-to-buy-for: Seeking unique fashion finds, on-trend accessories, and more, it’s all about “aesthetic gifts ideas” 3.7x this holiday
- Treat yourself: 2020 totally owes you one. Why not find something for you while shopping for them? As people are traveling and going out less, pinners are looking to splurge a little on something special with searches for “luxury gifts” 3x
- The new adventurer: Weekend warriors are answering the call of the wild with Pinterest searches for “hiking must-haves” 2x and “outdoorsy style” 2x
Holiday trends among makers and creatives
For special and extraordinary items, unique handcrafted pieces, vintage treasures, and meaningful gifts, Etsy is the place to go. “While there is definitely some consistency in annual holiday trends, Etsy sellers are constantly reinventing holiday staples with new, creative trends emerging each year,” says Dayna Isom Johnson, trend expert at Etsy.
2020 holiday gifting & decor trends, per Etsy:
- First-time hosting essentials: Whether celebrating in a newly-purchased home or choosing not to travel, many people will be hosting holidays for the first time this year, making entertaining essentials a trend among go-to gifts this year
- Long-distance giving: With many unable to see family and friends in person this year, Etsy sellers are helping shoppers let their loved ones know they are thinking of them from a distance with one extra-special gifting trend taking hold this year is care packages – with searches for care packages up 235%* – that can be personalized to the recipient’s interests
- Decorative games and puzzles: The classic games we all know and love – like chess, jigsaw puzzles, and tic-tac-toe – are stepping it up a notch with modern facelifts, making them the perfect gifting combination of form and function
- Greener gifting: The holidays can be some of the most wasteful times of the year, and many are prioritizing items that reduce their environmental impact as much as possible. From the gift to the gift wrap, Etsy sellers offer eco-conscious options to help holiday shoppers minimize waste, while still giving thoughtful gifts to the ones they love
- Sculptural candles: Unique decor pieces that put a creative spin on holiday decor staples
- Cozy outdoors: Creating inviting and warm spaces for festive gatherings
- Homespun holidays: Holiday decor that is reminiscent of a time before technology and filled with simpler pleasures
- Pet advent calendars: Advent calendars are a holiday mainstay, but this year, our four-legged friends can join in on the fun
Keep it local this holiday season
Closer to home, we’ve got snow on the way and local businesses that need our help this season. As many annual events have been canceled or modified due to COVID-19, there are still plenty of ways to enjoy festivities in Bend and Central Oregon while supporting our local business community through the holidays and beyond.
- Light It Up In Central Oregon – Holiday Lights 2020
- Shop And Support Local Businesses In Bend, Oregon
- How To Hit The Trails In Central Oregon